Saturday, September 12, 2009

I practically overdosed on chocolate.

The 14th Annual Ghirardelli Square Chocolate Festival benefiting Project Open Hand was a success this year, even with the economic downturn and all. The festival worked like a carnival system, which you have a ticket that gets marked off at every booth you go to. Admission was $10 for 6 tastings and $20 for 15. Come to think of it, I should've just split a ticket with 15 tastings with a friend because contrary to belief, it was just too much.

The place was jam packed and it was a challenge to get around. There were booths all over the square and was a bit of a hassle. However, chocolate is always worth it.

These edible art pieces are from Sterling Truffles. Not only did they look good, but tasted like heaven. They had flavors like strawberry mint and orange liqueur, which were really interesting.

My friend Shirley absolutely loved those pancakes. There was a lighter and milder vanilla pancake to go with a rich and indulgent chocolate pancake. Oh, and it was made with chocolate butter, which blew her mind when she found out.

Although the line took forever to get through, it was worth the wait. I've had gelato only once, so I had to have it again. I chose the blood orange because I heard that it was really good; they weren't kidding.

Ah, San Francisco's own Sugar Bowl Bakery. While I never get the chance to go to their flagship bakery, every now and then, I get some of their baked goodies at Walgreens. They make awesome Madelines and danishes.

This was a s'more with dark chocolate, graham cracker and pumpkin marshmallow. I had weird expectations of the taste, but it was actually really good.

I'd say Mary Louise Butters makes the most interesting brownies. The packaging is very nostalgic and reminiscent of art nouveau. They had flavors like orange, rose and...chipotle. A pumpkin marshmallow is one thing, but chipotle brings chocolate to a whole other level. Let's see, the first bite really tastes like a normal brownie. It's when you swallow the first bite and take a second bite that it begins to burn.

This is what I was waiting the whole time for: the sundae. It's vanilla icream, hot Ghirardelli fudge, drizzled with caramel, topped with whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry. The line for this wasn't as long as the Ciao Bella gelato line. But hey, more for me. Then again, maybe not; I'm afraid of chocolate right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment