Monday, January 12, 2009

It's a good thing we had the Golden Globes this year, otherwise we'd miss out on another testament of style.

Surprisingly, there were very few misses this year, except for maybe Renee Zellweger and her horrendous dress from Carolina Herrera (who knew?). The trend this award season was neutrals: whites and beiges, but I was a lot more excited for the colored dresses because I don't really believe in trends. Here are some of the best dressed of the night:

Mary-Louise Parker in Carlos Miele
Me being biased aside, I think she looks great, doesn't she? To be 44 in an arena for 20 somethings, she's in a league of her own. The bold blue and the contouring scales are incredibly flattering. I actually would've liked this dress a lot more if the bottom was open because she's still got it.

Laura Linney in Elie Saab
Here's another 40 something year-old actress who made a nice move. I feel like Laura usually is very safe with her style on the Red Carpet, but stepped it up this time in a yellow Elie Saab. Elie Saab is one of those designers who seems to always be able to translate something from the runway to the Red Carpet.

Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive
I was rooting for her to win Best Actress in a Motion Picture! Anyway, she looks absolutely exquisite. To be honest, it's a little on the classic side, which can be boring at times, but she doesn't look boring at all. This dress could've been a little bit more interesting if it was in green or purple maybe.

Tina Fey in Roberto Cavalli
2008 was definitely Tina's year, and I guess she wanted to acknowledge it by going a little edgier. I really liked the jeweled halter line, and the cleavage was just enough. For bigger-breasted women, this dress would probably look slutty, but she worked it.

Evan Rachel Wood in Elie Saab
I can't tell you how many times I've seen dresses like this. It's a great example of the whole "classic" look, which you can never really go wrong in. She looks great.

Eva Mendes in Dior
Of all the white gowns, this was my favorite. I like the crisp-white structured form with the side frill. I'm quite surprised the necklace was able to complete the look because usually a dress like this would fight with each other.

Kate Beckinsale in J. Mendel
This is my other favorite white dress. I love the ethereal and airiness of it all, but i also like that she strengthened it with those earrings.

Eva Longoria Parker in Reem Acra
Normally, on the Red Carpet, a red dress is a no-no, but Eva pulled this off. The scalloped bust line is very innovative, but the whole thing could've left a greater impression if it was yellow.

Melissa George in Armani Prive
This was my favorite dress of the night. If the dress was in any other color, she would've looked like "Vintage Barbie," but she looks great. I love the icy blue with with black trim.

Here are some of the looks I thought could've been better:


Maggie Gyllenhaal in Lanvin
This dress had a lot of potential to look great, but I really did not like the pouf on the one shoulder because it's distracting to an already busy dress. I'm a fan of Lanvin and the animal print, but this did not do it for me.

Drew Barrymore in John Galliano for Dior
I do love the dress, but what is up with that hair? She was supposedly channeling Marilyn Monroe, but I didn't get the whole sex symbol from her because that's not who she is. Maybe she was trying to balance the volume of the dress by volumizing her hair.

Anna Paquin in Herve Leroux
This girl is only 26 and she looks 40 something here. She used to look so adorable...what happened? She looks terrible as a blond and she also needs to fix that gap in her teeth; there is only one Lauren Hutton. Anyway, I do like her choice of Herve Leroux (the original Herve Leger who got fired under Max Azaria). It's the revival of a legendary designer.

Jennifer Lopez in Marchesa
I'll admit, this is an improvement from the notorious green Versace dress she wore to the Grammys. It's very "J-Lo" and all, but the flashiness is too much. I would've liked it a lot more if it was a matte gold.

January Jones in Versace
This dress looked amazing on the runway, but that being said, it should stay there. If a dress requires a lot of movement to look good, don't wear it to the Red Carpet. The color is gorgeous on her though.

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace
I'm sure my opinion won't change anyone's mind about her, I mean, she's everyone's fantasy (not mine). It's just for being so ridiculously gorgeous, she chose to wear something so matronly. Dressing casually is great and all, but it's a bit inappropriate when everyone else has to put an effort in dressing up; she could at least do something with her hair.

Beyonce in Elie Saab
Here's someone who glammed up way too much. This was actually one of my favorite dresses from the S/S08 Elie Saab collection. It's perfect by itself, but she had to wear a necklace. Basically, the necklace is shiny and the dress is shiny, making it way too much. Unlike "the other one," she did not need to have such a formal hairdo because the dress was just enough. I think she needs to understand that "less is more" because this is not the first time.

Courtesy of UsWeekly Magazine

1 comment: