Monday, August 17, 2009

I had an interesting time at the Baby, the Stars Shine Bright Tea Party.

So my friend, Phuong is really into the Lolita fashion subculture, which is a growing movement that started in Japan. The style is very much influenced by the Rococo and Victorian periods, and would look more "normal" on dolls. This subculture is expanding throughout the world, and I got a better understanding by attending the tea party. The New People mall in Japantown just opened, and one of the main attractions is the Baby, the Stars Shine Bright store, which is the first location in North America. BTSSB caters to "Sweet Lolitas," a particular sect in the Lolita movement that plays on the innocence of children. Phuong had to purchase at least $400 worth of merchandise in order to get an invitation, so she could meet her Lolita idol up close.

The is my coveted invitation, which is sort of like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket because only 30 people got to attend. At the end of the party, I got it autographed by the BTSSB designer and model Misako Aoki, so it might just go on eBay if anyone is interested.

This is the designer for Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. As an aspiring design myself, I really think she has something going for her. This particular dress was seen in the movie Kamikaze Girls.

Unfortunately, I was stared down and did not fit in because I did not dress up. That being said, it was basically a Lolita convention. Phuong let me know that those who are very into Lolita-ism can very judgmental.

They served high-end organic confectioneries from local delicatessen, Miette. Their cupcakes, lollipops, and malt balls were delicious. There were also sun dried tomato, cucumber, and tuna finger sandwiches. I really loved the sweet lollipop tea as well.

Apparently at these kind of Lolita get togethers, you will always run into someone who has the same dress as you. It just depends on how stylize it to make yourself stand out.

This is the BTSSB Staff. Some of the employees have come over from Japan to help out with business. They basically are required to wear these Lolita fashions to work everyday. I guess you have to be really dedicated because I don't know if I could ever spend so much time being so elaborate for work every single day.

The whole thing was quite surreal. I've never been to a tea party before, so it was an awesome opportunity to try it out. And even though Lolita-ism isn't exactly my cup of fashion tea, it can be a good reference for my designs.

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I love the clothes, though I'm not sure whether I could ever pull this look off (even in SF). Good luck with your designs.

    ReplyDelete