Wednesday, August 5, 2009

This show is driving me MAD.

There have been rave reviews about "Mad Men," and I just had to check it out. When it first came out, I didn't really see what the big deal about it was, until I rented the first 2 seasons and watched the whole thing in 4 days. I'm aching for the 3rd season to start. If you didn't know already, the show is about life in the 1960s where there was still radical political conservatism, racism, and sexism going on. It really gives you some interesting insight on life during this seemingly "perfect" period. I like how you can't really like a particular character because the more you find out about him/her, it makes you think twice. But at the same time, it makes you like him/her.

One of the reasons why I love this show so much is because of the fashion. The costume designer for the show, Janie Bryant, has really taken the fashion to a point where it no longer looks like costume on the small screen. Unfortunately, most of us dress pretty casually (and forget that we do), so I guess we're just waiting for a revival. Actually, they have a casting call in collaboration with Banana Republic going on right now. I might just enter it, but the chances of an overweight average-looking Asian like me making it are very slim. Then again, it doesn't hurt to try.

In Spring 2009, CB2 came out with a sofa called the "Draper." They took advantage of the sensation and ran with it. Unfortunately, this striped one did not sell well (not surprisingly), and was discontinued mid-season. However, you've got to admit this ad is quite hilarious.

Draper Sofa $799.00
Good thing they still have the Draper sofa because it's beautiful. The lines are simple with eco-friendly construction (certified sustainable kiln-dried hardwood frame, soy-based polyfoam, removable solid wood legs). I might just get for myself and with my discount, I can get it for about $500+ or $300+ as a floor sample. Oh, and you know Don Draper would totally sit on it any day (it's kind of my sales pitch). I've had a lot of men (straight men love Don Draper) and psychiatrists buy it and let's just say, they've got good taste.

Courtesy of AMCtv, CB2

1 comment: